The American Dental Association recognizes 9 Specialties. They are:
- Dental Public Health – The study of dental epidemiology and social health policies.
- Endodontics – Root canal therapy and study of diseases of the dental pulp.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology – The study, diagnosis, and sometimes the treatment of oral and maxillofacial related diseases.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology – The study and radiologic interpretation of oral and maxillofacial diseases.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – Extractions, implant
s, and facial surgery.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics – The straightening of teeth and modification of mid face and mandibular growth.
- Periodontics (also periodontology) – Study and treatment of diseases of the periodontium (non-surgical and surgical) as well as placement and maintenance of dental implants
- Pediatric Dentistry (formerly pedodontics) – Dentistry for children
- Prosthodontics – Dentures, bridges and the restoration of implants. Some prosthodontists further their training in “ ral and maxillofacial prosthodontics,” which is the discipline concerned with the replacement of missing facial structures, such as ears, eyes, noses, etc.
Each of these specialties requires training in an accredited full-time University and/or Hospital residency program that is at least 2+ years (5,000+ hours) in length, and that requires faculty approval for certification. Additionally there are a number of subscription organizations in concentrated areas of interest, such as Sleep Dentistry, Oro-facial Pain, etc.
Please know that Orthodontics is the oldest recognized specialty in all of the health sciences. As Orthodontic Specialists we are Dentists first, and work diligently with our General Dentist and Specialist Colleagues to provide you with the highest quality overall Dental Care.
With almost a hundred years of combined Orthodontic Specialty Care, creating delightful smiles, L&M Orthodontics would like to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. Please contact us and know that initial examinations are always complimentary.