Back To School Dental Tips
Back to School Dental Tips for Parents:
2. Find a toothpaste flavor that your child will enjoy. Choose a few different “child-friendly” flavors and see which kind your child likes the best. The more they like it, the better chance you have of getting them to use it.
3. Consider getting them floss picks. They are easy to use and come in fun colors and flavors. This will likely increase your child’s willingness to floss!
4. Help your child get the full 2 minutes worth of proper brushing.
5. Pack your child a healthy lunch and snack. Fresh fruit, vegetables, and cheese are great choices for school snacks. Cheeses, Swiss and Cheddar in particular, are especially good for your child’s teeth because it neutralizes acids. Acidic foods such as fruit juices and sodas should be avoided because they erode tooth enamel. Foods that are sticky or chewy should also be avoided since they allow the bacteria in plaque to produce more acid.
6. Take your child to the dentist so that he/she can start the school year to ensure that his/her teeth are healthy and clean.
7. If your child wears braces, have him/her pack an extra bag of elastics in their backpack. Also review the list of foods to avoid with braces to prevent bracket breakage. (Video on Food To Avoid With Braces Here)
8. If your child plays contact sports, have him/her wear the mouthguard while your child is playing sports. (More on mouthguards, click here)
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN ORTHODONTIST AT L&M ORTHODONTICS!
If you have any questions regarding this blog, please contact us! We would be happy to answer your questions. If you have any orthodontic needs and would like to schedule a complementary consultation with any of our doctors, please contact our offices, our friendly team would be happy to assist you!