Trick or treat!!
All of our children can’t wait to shout this to their neighbors, and then dream of devouring all of their candy afterwards. This can wreak havoc on their teeth though. Halloween can be a time to teach your children good oral health habits for life, without depriving them of Halloween treats (think moderation). In honor of Orthodontic Health Month, L&M Orthodontics would like to share some great tricks for healthy Halloween teeth!
Help your children celebrate Halloween responsibly:
- After your children get back from trick-or-treating or a party, go through their bags of Halloween candy together. Tell them to each pick the 10 or so (whatever number you decide, based on factors such as age) treats they want the most.
- Get the unpicked treats out of sight. You can donate them to a food bank or freeze them if you can’t bear to throw them out.
- Set a certain time of the day when it’s ‘Treat Time’. They can choose a piece of candy at that time only, and this will keep them from asking about it all day long. Perhaps it’s after dinner each day that they enjoy a piece of their cherished candy. It’s something to look forward to!
- ‘Treat Time’ should always be followed by ‘Brush Time’ because we don’t want those sticky, sweet treats staying on our pearly whites! Until a child is 7 or 8 years old, a parent should help with teeth brushing, not simply supervise. Even after age 8, parents should supervise brushing. That includes friendly reminders to older children to brush and floss until they get to high school, when it should be a habit.
- You should replace toothbrushes every three or four months anyway, so make Halloween an occasion for getting your child a new brush! When children like the toothbrushes, they are more likely to enjoy brushing.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding dental safety during Halloween, please do not hesitate to contact our office and ask any of L&M staff. Our trained, friendly team will be happy to answer any of your questions. If you have any orthodontic questions, and would like a complimentary consultations with any of our doctors, please contact us.