What Is Phase 1 Treatment in Orthodontics?
Some orthodontic conditions are simply easier to correct if they are corrected early. And knowing that your child might need corrective dental work or not simply offers peace of mind. Early orthodontic treatment (Phase 1 treatment) is all about preventing more severe problems later on. It provides the opportunity for an orthodontist to have control over creating space for the permanent teeth and correcting bite problems by addressing the structure of the jaws while growth is occurring. By age seven, your child’s bite is established and the amount of crowding can be determined.
The Benefits of Early Treatment (Phase 1 Treatment):
For those patients who have clear indications for early intervention, early treatment presents the opportunity to:
- Influence jaw growth in a positive manner. Harmonize width of the dental arches. Lower risk of trauma to protruded upper incisors.
- Correct harmful oral habits.
Improve aesthetics and self-esteem.
- Simplify and/or shorten treatment time for later corrective orthodontic treatments.
- Reduce likelihood of impacted permanent teeth. Improve speech problems.
- Preserve of gain space for erupting permanent teeth.
At L&M Orthodontics, our doctors carefully examine each individual’s unique condition and circumstance so that every one of our patients treatment is uniquely tailored accordingly. Personal Care is at the heart of L&M Orthodontics and it is one of our core values, along with Excellence and Integrity. If you have any questions regarding this blog, please contact us, we would be happy to answer any of your questions.