We cannot stress enough how important toothbrush hygiene is especially while you are in orthodontic treatment! Patients with immaculately clean mouths get out of braces faster. Here are some helpful tips:
- Use a pea-sized dollop of toothpaste when you brush.
- Brush 2 full minutes by the clock 2x/day.
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly after use.
- Stand it upright to air dry.
- Prevent cross-contamination by not letting toothbrushes rest against each other.
- Avoid toothbrush sharing.
- Don’t use toothbrush covers.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months (easy to remember, at the start of each new season of the year) or after you have had a cold.
- Use a soft toothbrush, brushing gently but thoroughly.
At L&M Orthodontics, we emphasize the importance of dental hygiene and we have complimentary toothbrushes at our brushing station for all of our orthodontic patients. If you have any questions regarding brushing techniques, please ask any of the L&M staff. Our trained, friendly staff will be happy to answer any of your questions. If you have any orthodontic questions, and would like a complimentary consultations with any of our doctors, please contact us.